Looking for something? Search my blog here!

About Me

My photo
I was born in Mesa and lived in both Arizona and Utah. I attended four different high schools and moved back to Mesa my senior year. I love to travel and explore; I studied abroad in England, Scotland and France and had a blast. Music and writing drive me. I am a hard worker, when I am motivated to be. I am a passionate girl who loves people. I love friends but I also love my quiet time. Most importantly, I love to Love. I am a writer, an educator, a learner, an explorer and yes, a Mormon. I am blessed and I love my life. I am currently serving a mission for the Lord through the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Italy until January of 2016.

My motto

My Motto
Love and Be Loved

Sunday, May 8, 2016

I am caring because...

The question I'm going to consider for this entry is based on failure, something that I learned from disappointment in an activity. All of the students in my school were given a writing prompt from the principal to complete, and upon completion could participate in a special recess. The writing prompt was "I am caring because..." and they had to finish the sentence. The problem was that they did not understand what the word caring meant. My mentor teacher had given a background on it, we discussed it and the students even gave examples of what it meant. Then we sent them to work. They all came back not knowing what write, asking what the word meant, showing us sentences that didn't make sense, and the biggest problem, that they thought the word was "carrying" not "caring". My teacher finally stopped the class and discussed it again, giving very clear examples! But the students still just not understand how to respond to the prompt because they didn't know what the word meant. 
I'm sure we could have gone to the internet to look for some extra help with the language barrier, but by that point there was not much time left in the day. By the end of the time period we just scratched the activity and I don't remember what my teacher did with it, but I do know they got their recess. Sometimes simple lesson plans do fail! And that's OK. Perhaps we needed to provide a better background and understanding to allow for a more clear definition of the word. That was a writing afternoon disaster I will always remember.

(From early March 2016)

No comments:

Post a Comment