Looking for something? Search my blog here!

About Me

My photo
I was born in Mesa and lived in both Arizona and Utah. I attended four different high schools and moved back to Mesa my senior year. I love to travel and explore; I studied abroad in England, Scotland and France and had a blast. Music and writing drive me. I am a hard worker, when I am motivated to be. I am a passionate girl who loves people. I love friends but I also love my quiet time. Most importantly, I love to Love. I am a writer, an educator, a learner, an explorer and yes, a Mormon. I am blessed and I love my life. I am currently serving a mission for the Lord through the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Italy until January of 2016.

My motto

My Motto
Love and Be Loved

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Britain Bound

Over the past couple of months I have been preparing for my study abroad trip in a lot of different ways. To start with I want to thank everyone who helped me get here: parents, siblings, my boy, and many friends who have traveled themselves. With monetary means, physical prep and mental sanity, I made it. It has finally come!
Leaving behind the people that I love as I walked through security was sad for me, because I wished that they could come with me. At that moment it was a very scary thought in my mind that I would be traveling to a foreign country with unfamiliar people. I'd like to think that was a moment where I faced a fear of mine and I think that this whole trip (the day spent getting from Phoenix to London) has conquered that fear. 
Side note, Aerosmith has been my band of the past month. I'll explain this later.
While sitting on the long plane ride, some thoughts came to mind. Anyone who knows me knows that I am a small girl with an enormous heart. Sometimes I think that because I'm short and small with a quiet voice that people won't care about me or don't  recognize me for certain things. But as is now obvious, little people can do such great things. (So maybe I'm bragging about me, but let it be). I'm halfway across the world! See?!


 And I'm doing it on my own. Sure, people got me here. I've got a group I'm traveling with. But ultimately I had a dream for this experience to come one day and I kept dreaming until this dream came true. And it did! 
I have mixed feelings about how to describe myself. I love being with people and I get attached pretty easily, but I love to do things on my own. I love to make things happen and be the one to instigate it. I love being free and independent to just let my mind take off without others blocking it. Yet, within that independence, I still really enjoy the company of another person. So I'm trying to get at that all this time I've thought I'm small and childish and this trip is just something I'm doing. But as I sat on the plane thinking about what's ahead of me, well I guess I am more of an adult than I think. Perhaps I'm more mature than I let myself believe. God is the one who's gotten me here, no doubt. And maybe, just maybe, when I come home I'll see myself a big person and what others think will not matter so much. Just maybe.


Stay tuned, the juicy details after touchdown come next.

No comments:

Post a Comment